Friday, February 18, 2011

Here is an excerpt from my essay this week:
Soon, our exponential growth will grow to the point where one day of progress will equal decades of progress at the rate of a couple years ago. Kurzweil’s belief in exponential technology growth is something that resonates with me on the deepest level. Not only do I have personal experience with the concept, but the many graphs and statistics in the book also completely convinced me. Kurzweil’s book is not just about the law of accelerating returns however. He stops generalizing, and makes specific predictions regarding our future.
For example, he predicts that this “Singularity” will occur by the year 2045. By that year, he predicts nanobots, microscopic robots to be an essential part of our life. With these robots bolstering our immune systems and physical bodies, we could potentially live for thousands of years. Solar energy will be freely available, and environmental problems will be solved by more efficient technologies. We will be able to think faster and more efficiently than ever before, and human creativity and knowledge will flourish (Kurzweil 25).

4 comments:

  1. I also read the Singularity, and I agree wholeheartedly with Kurzweil's predictions. He definitely substantiates his claims more than other scientists, and the prospect of such rapid technological advancement as well as an infinite lifespan is incredibly exciting! Nice essay, and you used some good quotes to describe his points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Singularity is near indeed. I really enjoyed his book and I really like the quotes you used to describe it. I found the graphs he used to show how technology is exponentially increasing to be very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read the Singularity, I liked this piece out of your essay. It is indeed near, and if all his predictions come true, life is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having read the singularity, your excerpt is very cool. It seems that Kurzweil really does know what he is talking about, and it's just up to us to spread the good word.

    ReplyDelete