Thursday, October 21, 2010

More Oedipus, and a tragic project!

         This week we continued reading and interpreting tragedies.  We finished Oedipus, the so called "perfect tragedy" that was the first use of a modern tragedy.  It was very understandable, but to me slightly contrived.  It seemed that every possible thing that could go wrong to Oedipus happened, and was slightly over-tragic and unrealistic.  It was still interesting however, and I'm Looking forward to starting our project where we will create our own tragedies. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Darien! Over-tragic and unrealistic? You of all people I thought would know that all Greek Tragedies are very unrealistic (unless Greeks were really just had bad luck back then). As I am trying to get some ideas for my own "tragic project", I was wondering what you were thinking about doing?

    Anyways, nice post :)

    - Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it is a very over exaggerated storyline, I don't think that the Greeks really knew how to write in any other way. They were weird, but it's alright.
    I think Aristotle's concept of a 'perfect tragedy' was formulated before truly sad occurrences and tales had actually been documented.

    What are you thinking of doing for your project? I say a jewish puppy stuck in Auschwitz who dies of cancer after his loved on commits suicide - basically every sad thing EVER! Hahaha. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that some parts were most definitely exaggerated but you have to remember that, people went to these Dionysus festivals to escape reality. Tragedy had to be exaggerated in order to keep people from relating to it too much and becoming more sad about their situation.

    ReplyDelete